BLS Professional Studies Concentration
Rationale and Program Objectives
The Special Programs in Liberal Studies, Professional Studies concentration, is an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary online program. The program is designed to provide students with an opportunity to earn their baccalaureate degree online by combining course work from the humanities, social sciences, and other fields in a curriculum that emphasizes the skills and knowledge that will be helpful in the workplace.
Upon completing the Special Programs in Liberal Studies Social Sciences Concentration students will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively in an appropriate professional style.
- Read texts with careful attention.
- Think critically and analytically.
- Connect learning in the humanities, social sciences, and other fields to their professional lives.
Minimum of 30 credits as listed below.
BLS Professional Studies Concentration: 30 Semester Hours (see catalog)
- BLS Professional Studies Foundation Courses (9 s.h.)
These courses should be taken in the first semester(s) of the program.
- ENG 327: Writing in the Professions
- CST 341: Communication and Workplace Relationships
- PHI 361: Ethical Issues in Business
- BLS Professional Studies Distribution: (6 s.h.)
At least one course from each area listed below. Courses counted toward an additional or previously completed major or minor will not count toward this concentration.
- Humanities (one course)
BLS 321: Reading the Human Experience
BLS 363: Ethics and Technology
BLS 385: American Motherhood
- Social Sciences (one course)
CST 315 Persuasion and Social Influence
SOC 354 Work and Gender
PSY 444 Changing Behavior in Real World Settings
- Humanities (one course)
- BLS Professional Studies Area of Emphasis (12 s.h.)
Select four courses in consultation with your advisor. The Area of Emphasis can focus on a variety of topics or be customized to the student’s professional aspirations. Courses may come from the BLS Humanities and/or Social Sciences concentrations, other University courses, and approved transfer courses.
- BLS Professional Studies Senior Seminar (3 s.h.)
To be taken in the final semester of the BLS Professional Studies Concentration. Select one, to most closely align with your Area of Emphasis.
- BLS 400: Senior Seminar in the Humanities
- SSC 400: Senior Seminar in the Social Sciences
- BLS Electives: as desired, to meet residency and upper-division requirements.
University Residency and GPA Minimum Requirements (see catalog)
- 120 Total Semester Credits:
Accepted transfer credit + courses completed at UNCG.
- 31 Semester Credits from UNCG:
Minimum 12 s.h. toward any major and 9 s.h. toward any minor.
- 36 Semester Credits at 300 Level or Above.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA: Minimum GPA for coursework attempted at UNCG.
*Consult with your advisor about which requirements fit your circumstances