BLS Professional Studies Concentration
AOS Code: U873
— Beginning Fall 2015 —
University Residency and GPA Minimum Requirements (see bulletin)
- 122 Total Semester Credits:
Accepted transfer credit + courses completed at UNCG.
- 31 Semester Credits from UNCG:
Minimum 12 s.h. toward any major and 9 s.h. toward any minor.
- 36 Semester Credits at 300 Level or Above.
(Most BLS Social Sciences courses are at 300- & 400-level.)
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA: Minimum GPA for coursework attempted at UNCG.
BLS Professional Studies Concentration: 30 Semester Hours (see bulletin)
- BLS Professional Studies Foundation Courses (9 s.h.)
These courses should be taken in the first semester(s) of the program.
- ENG 327: Writing in the Professions
- CST 341: Communication and Workplace Relationships
- PHI 361: Ethical Issues in Business
- BLS Professional Studies Distribution: (6 s.h.)
At least one course from each area listed below. Courses counted toward an additional or previously completed major or minor will not count toward this concentration.
- Humanities (one course)
BLS 321: Reading the Human Experience
BLS 363: Ethics and Technology
BLS 385: American Motherhood
- Social Sciences (one course)
CST 315 Persuasion and Social Influence
SOC 354 Work and Gender
PSY 444 Changing Behavior in Real World Settings
- Humanities (one course)
- BLS Professional Studies Area of Emphasis (12 s.h.)
Select four courses in consultation with your advisor. The Area of Emphasis can focus on a variety of topics or be customized to the student’s professional aspirations. Courses may come from the BLS Humanities and/or Social Sciences concentrations, other University courses, and approved transfer courses.
- BLS Professional Studies Senior Seminar (3 s.h.)
To be taken in the final semester of the BLS Professional Studies Concentration. Select one, to most closely align with your Area of Emphasis.
- BLS 400: Senior Seminar in the Humanities
- SSC 400: Senior Seminar in the Social Sciences
- BLS Electives: as desired, to meet residency and upper-division requirements.
College of Arts & Sciences General Education Core Requirements (GEC+CAR)
- GFA: Fine Arts: 1 course.
- GLT: Literature: 2 different courses.
- GPR: Philosophical, Religious, & Ethical Perspectives: 1 course.
- GMO: Modern History: 1 course.
- GPM: Pre-Modern History: 1 course.
- GMT: Mathematics: 1 course.
- GLS: Life Science: 1 course.
- GPS: Physical Science: 1 course.
- NS: Additional Natural Science: 1 course. (GLS or GPS)
- LAB: Natural Science Lab, to accompany GLS or GPS: 1 laboratory.
- GRD1: Reasoning and Discourse: ENG 101 or Equivalent: 1 course.
- GRD: Reasoning and Discourse: 1 course.
- GSB: Social & Behavioral Sciences: 3 different courses from ≥ 2 departments.
- GFL: Foreign Language Intermediate Proficiency: 204 level; requires 4 semesters for most students.
Markers (may be combined with courses above):
- GLOB1: Global Nonwestern (GN): 1 course.
- GLOB2: Global (GL or GN): 3 courses.
- SI: Speaking Intensive: 2 courses (1 must be in BLS major).
- WI: Writing Intensive: 4 courses (1 must be in BLS major).
Your Degree Evaluation will show which of these degree requirements you have met.
*Students enrolled at UNCG prior to 2001 may be under CLER, see advisor for more information.