BLS Humanities Concentration
AOS Code: U820
University Residency and GPA Minimum Requirements (see bulletin)
- 122 Total Semester Credits:
Accepted transfer credit + courses completed at UNCG.
- 31 Semester Credits from UNCG:
Minimum 12 s.h. toward any major and 9 s.h. toward any minor.
- 36 Semester Credits at 300 Level or Above.
(All BLS courses are at 300- & 400-level.)
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA: Minimum GPA for coursework attempted at UNCG.
BLS Humanities Concentration: 30 Semester Hours (see bulletin)
- BLS Humanities Foundation Courses
These courses should be taken in the first semester(s) of the program.
- BLS 300: Seminar in Humanities: 1 course.
- BLS 301: Pathways: Reading and Writing in the Humanities: 1 course.
- BLS Humanities Distribution:
At least one course from each area listed below.
- BLS 320s: Topics in Literature: 1 course.
- BLS 340s: Topics in Fine Arts: 1 course.
- BLS 360s: Topics in Philosophy, Religion, & Ethics: 1 course.
- BLS 380s: Topics in Historical Perspectives: 1 course.
- BLS Humanities Area of Emphasis:
At least three additional courses from one Area of Emphasis.
- BLS Senior Seminar in the Humanities
To be taken in the final semester of the BLS Humanities Concentration
- BLS 400: Senior Seminar: 1 course; includes WI marker.
- BLS Electives: as desired, to meet residency and upper-division requirements.
College of Arts & Sciences General Education Core Requirements (GEC+CAR)
- GFA: Fine Arts: 1 course.
- GLT: Literature: 2 different courses.
- GPR: Philosophical, Religious, & Ethical Perspectives: 1 course.
- GMO: Modern History: 1 course.
- GPM: Pre-Modern History: 1 course.
- GMT: Mathematics: 1 course.
- GLS: Life Science: 1 course.
- GPS: Physical Science: 1 course.
- NS: Additional Natural Science: 1 course. (GLS or GPS)
- LAB: Natural Science Lab, to accompany GLS or GPS: 1 laboratory.
- GRD1: Reasoning and Discourse: ENG 101 or Equivalent: 1 course.
- GRD: Reasoning and Discourse: 1 course.
- GSB: Social & Behavioral Sciences: 3 different courses from ≥ 2 departments.
- GFL: Foreign Language Intermediate Proficiency: 204 level; requires 4 semesters for most students.
Markers (may be combined with courses above):
- GLOB1: Global Nonwestern (GN): 1 course.
- GLOB2: Global (GL or GN): 3 courses.
- SI: Speaking Intensive: 2 courses (1 must be in BLS major).
- WI: Writing Intensive: 4 courses (1 must be in BLS major).
Your Degree Evaluation will show which of these degree requirements you have met.
*Students enrolled at UNCG prior to 2001 may be under CLER, see advisor for details.