BLS Humanities Concentration
Rationale and Program Objectives
The Special Programs in Liberal Studies, Humanities Concentration, is an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary online degree program. The program is designed to provide students with an opportunity to earn their baccalaureate degree online by gaining a thorough understanding of the humanities, the interconnections among them, and their relevance to individuals and to modern society. The humanities are broadly defined to include those disciplines that study people—their ideas, their history, their literature, their artifacts, and their values. The program will investigate individual people in their solitude, life together in societies, and models of and for reality that constitute cultures. Individual courses will tackle the Big Questions that have been the traditional province of the humanities such as “What makes a life worth living?” The program is designed to enhance the student’s ability to:
- Think critically and analytically.
- Communicate clearly and effectively.
- Understand and explain interconnections among the Humanities disciplines.
- Appreciate the wide range of human experience.
- Achieve increased depth of knowledge in one of the four categories of the Humanities: Literature, Fine Arts, Philosophy/Religion/Ethics, Historical Perspectives.
Minimum of 30 credits as listed below.
BLS Humanities Concentration: 30 Semester Hours (see catalog)
- BLS Humanities Core Courses
These courses should be taken in the first semester(s) of the program.
- BLS 300: Seminar in Humanities: 1 course.
- BLS 301: Pathways: Reading and Writing in the Humanities: 1 course.
- BLS Humanities Distribution:
At least one course from each area listed below.
- BLS 320s: Topics in Literature: 1 course.
- BLS 340s: Topics in Fine Arts: 1 course.
- BLS 360s: Topics in Philosophy, Religion, & Ethics: 1 course.
- BLS 380s: Topics in Historical Perspectives: 1 course.
- BLS Humanities Area of Emphasis:
At least three additional courses from one Area of Emphasis.
- BLS Senior Seminar in the Humanities
To be taken in the final semester of the BLS Humanities Concentration
- BLS 400: Senior Seminar: 1 course; includes WI marker.
- BLS Electives: as desired, to meet residency and upper-division requirements.
University Residency and GPA Minimum Requirements (see catalog)
- 120 Total Semester Credits:
Accepted transfer credit + courses completed at UNCG.
- 31 Semester Credits from UNCG:
Minimum 12 s.h. toward any major and 9 s.h. toward any minor.
- 36 Semester Credits at 300 Level or Above.
(All BLS courses are at 300- & 400-level.)
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA: Minimum GPA for coursework attempted at UNCG.
*Consult with your advisor about which requirements fit your circumstances